Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Introduction of Civil 3D

I suddenly feel an urge to start blogging on Civil 3D (Civil Engineering software by Autodesk). I hope to share and exchange my knowledge about Civil 3D at least in Malaysia. You can find that this is not new in the west but definitely something to chew on at least for a start in this region.

I've been using Civil 3D since 2005 and it has been such a great tool for me as a Design Engineer. I guessed this software is gaining its momentum since its inception in year 2004. I hope to contribute in one way or another especially in the local scene.

For a start, let me share with you my knowledge on Civil 3D. Civil 3D is a powerful civil engineering software developed by Autodesk. As the name implies, it provides comprehensive solution covering various infrastructure works namely earthwork, subdivision, highways, land development, survey, drainage as well as in areas related to project management. One of the capabilities of C3D is its ability to dynamically link objects created in it. Any changes or revisions to the design will be updated almost instanly by a click of mouse. Integral to this capability is it save you a lot of time as well as give you more time to consider different scenarios. Believe me, I really appreciate this function. No one likes revision and you cannot avoid changes in engineering. How would you like to cope with changes when you are already bogged down and have tight deadlines to meet? Sound familiar? As an engineer, it is my responsibilities to consider all possible options and optimize the design. Civil 3D helps me to focus and spend my energy on my design. I can get a balance earthwork design easily and my boss is happy about it.
Drafting process has also been made easy with the use of Styles. Phew! Now I can apply different template for different clients as easy as ABC.


I will post some useful tips on converting 2D texts to 3D points in my next post (courtesy of Sze Yen- she taught me how to do it) which is a very familiar scenario in Malaysia. I welcome any comments.

2 comments:

Kig Ling said...

congrats and well done wendy!
fantastic that you are sharing tips on this area (tho i have to be honest not to understand even a little of what's written :P)
keep it up!

cheers!

Cad Services said...

Nice post, here's another interesting one difference between bim and 3d modelling